Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, April 30, 2010

Of Donuts And Dinosaurs


The morning after my grandfather passed away, I was in the bakery section of the grocery store looking for bagels. As I contemplated cinnamon raisin or blueberry, I heard an exchange at the donut case that made me a sniffling mess. Two small children, obviously brother and sister, were oohing and aahing over the donuts, trying to choose just one out of all those goodies. At first, I wasn’t quite sure what relationship they shared with the man behind them. He seemed old enough to be grandpa but, having a much younger spouse and regularly being asked if Scarlett is my granddaughter, I’m reluctant to categorize without more evidence. But I got drawn in by what he said next to them and then to me. “Go ahead and pick two,” he said to enthusiastic response. “Why not?,” he said as he looked at me with a good-natured shrug. “Isn’t that what grandpas are for?” As the mom of children who don’t need more than one donut at any given time, I wasn’t totally on board. But as the girl who just lost her grandpa, I tearfully agreed. I’m sure they thought the weepy mute woman in the bakery section was a little off, but they started it. In Hiawyn Oram’s A Boy Wants A Dinosaur, a little boy dreams of a day spent dinosaur shopping with the one person who really understands: his grandpa. My grandfather didn’t give donuts or dinosaurs, just quarters and candy and card tricks. Lucky me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0374408890/teachersnet

http://www.contactanauthor.co.uk/authorpage.php?id=266

No comments:

Post a Comment