Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Concentration


Not everyone buys Attention Deficit Disorder as a legitimate diagnosis. Those opposed are very staunch in their belief that all kids are squirmy and you can’t foist the repercussions of inept parenting off on a catchall diagnostic category. We have this…er…”discussion” at my house all the time. I know what the other side thinks. I also know what I know. I know that I have seen the profound impact of fractured attention-paying abilities on my son since he was an infant barely able to sit up. I had not yet heard of ADD then, but I knew that something was very different from the other children I had dealt with about the way this child took in, processed, and applied information. Then, one night I was up late (naturally) and saw the repeat of a show featuring an expert in some newly researched condition and several of his adult subjects. As I watched these grown people tap, snap, bend, and squeeze “focus objects” like rubber balls, while they shifted and leaned in their seats, I knew I was seeing my son in twenty years. And I have been fighting for him ever since. Sammy, the little shark in Nick Ward’s Don’t Eat The Teacher, is having some serious impulse-control issues on his first day of school. He’s so excited, he bites tables, chairs, easels, and the book for story time, but his classmates intervene to help him get a grip before he can bite the teacher. Everybody needs help sometime.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Eat-Teacher-Nick-Ward/dp/0439374650

http://www.jacketflap.com/persondetail.asp?person=117382

No comments:

Post a Comment