Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, April 23, 2010

Creatively Coping


Can carrying a colossal cache of concern cause a character to crack? It certainly can. In Stan and Jan Berenstain’s “C” is for Clown, the title character, Clarence, is under a lot of pressure. In order to be successful, his act hinges upon his ability to support an increasingly heavy load without collapsing. Since that scenario is the thematic thread of my life, and most likely everyone else’s, I know just how he feels. I wonder sometimes why I feel so stressed out, until I take a look at just my recent history. In the last five years, I’ve been a military wife with a foreign-deployed spouse, had a messy and protracted divorce, fought an ongoing custody battle, had two surgeries, one of them major enough to require updating my will, had no less than two jobs at any time and sometimes as many as four, moved the entire household twice, turned forty, had my brand new car totaled, had a fourth baby, got engaged, got married, and lost both of my grandparents. And everyone I know has a list that long with different, but no less overwhelming, stuff on it. Not that we have it so much worse than our historical counterparts, and in the case of modern conveniences far better, but it’s no wonder none of us can sleep. So, much like Clarence the Clown, we juggle each new thing that gets thrown at us, trying to give each the attention it deserves and demands…hoping we don’t CRASH!

P.S. Happy Birthday, Kristin!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0001714422/frugalreaderc-20

http://www.kidsreads.com/authors/au-berenstain-jan-stan.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment