Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Clothes Call



Kids have their own sense of what they like and don’t like. Rarely do you hear a toddler express ambivalence at which pants they like best or if they want a banana on their cereal or not--because they are right in the middle of “expressing a preference” (read: being a demanding little pain in the neck) about the situation. And it doesn’t end with the preschool crowd, the opinions just evolve and become increasingly laser-sighted. I know you’re supposed to introduce children to a variety of new tastes, people, and experiences to broaden their horizons, but sometimes it seems like a losing battle. What you want is unlikely to be what they want and then it just becomes a showdown to see who blinks first. Some battles are worth fighting more than others, though. When Keilana went through a stage of wearing a sequined-spangled swim cap everywhere, I admired her creativity. When Connor’s daily wardrobe for three months was a too-big, hand-me-down wrestling singlet and galoshes, I applauded his practicality. When Addison decked herself out in just a tutu and black, patent leather lace-up boots, I marveled at her independence. When Scarlett insists on wearing four pairs of my underwear while Nick folds laundry, I think it’s funny. But there are occasions (church, family gatherings, professional photos) when my neurotic side rears its control-freak head and then everyone must comply or face my wrath. Just like the mother in Shirley Neitzel’s The Dress I’ll Wear To The Party. Mom=1, Kid=0.
http://www.amazon.com/Dress-Ill-Wear-Party/dp/0688142613


http://www.shirleyneitzel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment