Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter


It is Easter--a day of celebration and polarity. It seems everyone I encountered today has a very set opinion about what Easter means. For some, this day represents a time for introspection, gratitude and jubilation. For others, it is a season of mystifying beliefs met with skepticism or downright incredulity and ham. There are very few in-betweeners and haven’t-decideders. Since I’m still working my way through a personal theology revamping, I can’t quite find a comfortable new spot in the former but feel wary of the latter. Even if you are a believer, the day is complicated. And if you’re a kid, it’s just not happening. At church during Children‘s Time, the pastor tried to explain resurrection with two different colors of cord “inexorably” intertwined. I could see where he was going, and the kids like his energy, but I can’t say that even the adults understand the concept, let alone toddlers with faces full of jelly beans. I suppose I should have chosen an Easter-themed book for today in an effort at tutoring Scarlett in the basis of Christianity, but we didn’t have a simple enough one and I’m not even sure that’s possible. So, I chose what I think is a fair compromise. Clare Turlay Newberry’s Marshmallow is about a pampered house cat whose only-pet status is challenged by an adorable little bunny addition to the household. Oliver works hard at making peace with Marshmallow. They play, snuggle and become fast friends. That’s an Easter message for everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Marshmallow-Clare-Turlay-Newberry/dp/0060244607


http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/12536/Clare_Turlay_Newberry/index.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment