Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Feed Me, Scarlett!


Scarlett must be getting ready to grow. Last night she ate veggie tamales and cotton candy from the Farmer’s Market, a can of corn, a peanut butter sandwich in the high chair, strawberries from Trader Joe’s, taco salad with Sissy, Cheerios out of a discarded baggie found at the bottom of the diaper bag, and the rest of a bowl of popcorn left on the couch. And that’s the stuff I know about. I’m telling you, a growth spurt of epic proportions must be around the corner. And it makes sense--she’ll never grow more rapidly in less time. But, if you are what you eat, Scarlett is Hometown Buffet for stoned toddlers. I know how she feels, the same thing happens to me every day but since I don’t have a sonic boom-fast metabolism, the results are much different. She gets the energy and fuel she needs to keep building all her parts while I get more rubber for the handy spare tire I’ve been nurturing for some time now. Same process, different results. Master storyteller Eric Carle is in touch with the voracious appetite crowd in his stuff-your-face tale The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Said caterpillar starts out as a tiny little egg on page one and, after emerging, eats his way through the next ten pages--no joke, there are holes in the pages, fer cryin’ out loud. In the end, nature follows its course and all that eating produces a gorgeous butterfly. I hope that only happens to caterpillars.

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-Eric-Carle/dp/0399226907


http://www.eric-carle.com/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment