Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

My first home had a dark, weathered, wooden fence around the backyard. On one side, the fence had a large gate that was always a little rickety until it finally came off its hinges one eventful Saturday afternoon. Seeing this as an adventure opportunity, my brothers and I drug the gate to the center of the sea of knee-high grass that was our yard to become a raft. Before setting sail, we stocked up on provisions and necessities. For me, that always included a baby doll. For this fateful rafting trip, I chose Baby Tender Love, but I had to change her standard shirt, bloomers, and pink booties, which were going to be completely inappropriate for an outdoor expedition. So, I chose my favorite doll dress: a hot pink, green and white little number perfect for playing in the sunshine. Unfortunately, the sunshine didn’t stay. It began to rain and we ran for cover, leaving our cargo behind to face the elements. Realizing immediately that my baby was still out there, I wanted to run back out and rescue her but my mom vetoed the idea. Sadly, I had to watch out the window for three days before the weather broke. Now, Baby Tender Love was weather-resistant but the dye from her fancy dress wasn’t…so her torso was stained bright pink forever more. I think of that experience whenever I read Dr. Seuss’ Cat in the Hat. It was too wet to go out, it was too wet to play…


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_in_the_Hat

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/039480001X/

No comments:

Post a Comment