Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Size Of Things

Ever since Scarlett showed up almost two years ago, Nick has been expressing his wish for what he calls “adult-size adults”--a special breed of people who are large enough to physically interact with grown-ups as if they were children. He wants one of those big people so that he can have someone pick him up, swing him around, and toss him in the air like he does for Scarlett. I can understand the appeal, but if I got my own larger-than-life person, I imagine that I would appreciate them more for the feelings of security they could bring back into my world than for the fun we could have. It would be so nice to have someone who could carry me when I got too tired, or tuck me into bed when I drift off on the couch downstairs, or, best of all, give me a nice, cozy lap to climb into and make all the hurt the world can do go away for a little while. Wouldn’t that be great? Being grown up is seriously over-rated sometimes. In Ann Herbert Scott’s On Mother’s Lap, a young Inuit boy is seeking refuge and comfort in his favorite spot and bringing all his beloved stuff with him. Scarlett loves to be on a “wap.” She comes over, pushes aside whatever is in the way, clambers up, kicks back and asks for “Rock you baby.” Even though I love being a mommy, being little and lap-sized again does sound awfully tempting sometimes.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Nick/Daddy! We love you so much!
http://www.jacketflap.com/persondetail.asp?person=8849


http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Lap-Ann-Herbert-Scott/dp/0395629764

No comments:

Post a Comment