Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, April 12, 2010

Somebody Needs A Nap

Naptime is tricky. Daytime noise is really distracting, children have power issues, and it is obviously not dark enough to go “night-night.” So, most parents have to fight the battle of the nap on a regular, possibly daily, basis. My kids have been no exception, but they may have gotten it from me. I can remember coming home from kindergarten and having to take a nap in the slip I wore under my school dress, which was the standard little girl uniform in 1972. I seethed with resentment over having to nap when I could hear the rest of the world going about their business. The one tiny consolation was that my mom would let me sleep in her big bed. Ironically, nowadays, I would write someone a check if it meant that I could have a mid-day siesta. Keilana didn’t object to the confinement of napping, but had supersonic hearing that could detect the melody of the “i-ka-sreem” man, who always came at naptime, miles away. Connor couldn’t bear missing a moment of daytime action and even pushed a milk crate under his window one morning to facilitate escape later on. Poor Addison might have been a good napper, but being the third child and getting wagged around all over the place, we’ll never know. And Scarlett literally has to drop where she stands sometimes. Sister Critter from Mercer Mayer’s Just A Nap feels their pain and fights valiantly against the dreaded nap. But the Sandman always wins eventually.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Nap-Look-Look-Mercer-Mayer/dp/0307117138

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment