Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Something Fishy


I don’t like fishing. It is a compilation of many things I don’t like: you have to get up ridiculously early when it is almost always freezing cold, you have to sit in a cramped little boat or hike a muddy shore, you have to be quiet to avoid scaring the ordinarily non-existent fish, and it is most frequently done by people who like their politics and their meat red. Not really up my alley. I do think fishing is the closest to fair sport hunting can get and that catch and release has it merits--although all the fishing folk I know have kept quite a few fish because they were too injured to survive or swallowed a hook or something. So, the principle, like most things, has more nobility in theory than in practice. I do have fond memories of a few childhood fishing trips. I can recall catching a rainbow trout on a fishing expedition with our Nana and Grandfeathers, but I also got hooked by someone casting their line, so the memories are mixed. I remember fishing with my dad once at Lake Castaic, but the lakeweed freaked me out and I got a scorching sunburn along the part between my braids. Who thinks of putting sunscreen on their head?! In Lulu Delacre’s Nathan’s Fishing Trip, Nathan and tiny Nicholas Alexander have mixed feelings about their day. Everything goes wrong but they get to hang out and brainstorm creative solutions. On a balance, that’s a good day.

http://www.luludelacre.com/bio.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Nathans-Fishing-Trip-Lulu-Delacre/dp/0590412825

No comments:

Post a Comment