Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, May 23, 2010

School Days

I love school. Apparently so, since I never left it, but it’s more than just a career choice. I love going to classes, perusing new textbooks, and learning things I never knew I didn’t know. The feel and smell of new school supplies are like a hit of some highly addictive drug, without all the prison time. Every September (back when school administration had not lost its ever-loving mind and school still started in September) was electric with unlimited potential. I am a big summer fan and hated to see it go, but the school bell was an irresistible siren song. Even as a teacher the start of a new semester lightens my mood. Before I had enough seniority to teach summer classes, I would get really nasty near the end of August. I was restless, crabby and uncomfortable in my own skin without being able to define what the problem was--until the first day of class. I would walk in, begin reading a new class roster, and feel like I took my first full breath for three months. No wonder I was in such a bad mood being oxygen-deprived for so long. Admittedly, not everything was or is perfect about school, but, if I could, I would go to school full-time every semester and take every class they’ve got. Sister Bear is feeling some trepidation about starting kindergarten in Stan and Jan Berenstain’s Go To School, but gets over it right away. Maybe she truly is a sister bear.

http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-School-First-Books/dp/0394837363

http://www.frontiernet.net/~bmariska/bears/bio.html

No comments:

Post a Comment