Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, May 17, 2010

Animal Instinct

Years ago, I made a Christmas trip to Seattle. Being a California girl, I was worried about dealing with the rainy Washington weather. Especially when everyone I knew kept telling me I should be. It would be gray. It would be dreary. I would be miserable. To my delight and the begrudging surprise of anyone who wanted to say they told me so, it was gorgeous. So, when the Northwest gives you sunshine, you get out and enjoy it. We did some driving, some sightseeing, and even had dinner on the shores of Lake Washington (where we coincidentally saw a giant, prehistoric monster of a fish they caught years later). We had a good time, but our real adventure was at the Seattle Zoo. It was a great time to go--the weather was cool enough to keep the animals from hiding in their shadowy caves but warm enough to encourage them to come out and play. At one point, we remarked on how close we could get to the animal exhibits, particularly the lions. It seemed the habitat designer had done a flawless job of camouflaging the fences keeping us separated from the King of the Jungle--until a zookeeper in a Jeep chased us down and said that we were actually in the lion enclosure, having walked through a gateway left open by someone careless. Great. In R.P. Anderson’s Curious George at the Aquarium, our little monkey gets closer to the exhibits than he should. Naturally, wacky penguin chaos ensues.

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Aquarium-Illustrator-Grossnickle-Anderson/dp/0618800689

http://www.amazon.com/R.-P.-Anderson/e/B001IGJTC0

No comments:

Post a Comment