Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Have A Nice Day



Some people have more drama in their lives than others. I know because I am their queen. Most people lead fairly normal lives with occasional dramatic bumps in their functional roads. I do not. Realizing I have some Murphy’s Law brothers and sisters out there, I give my college students one free absence per semester and tell them if trauma regularly occurs in their world ( and you know who you are), to save their one day for when space junk falls from the sky and crushes their car or a tornado rips down the street missing every house but theirs. In other words, if they have lives anything like mine. I realize not everyone agrees with my worldview. There are those who fervently believe you bring or create your own circumstances and all that matters is your attitude. There are also those who feel I manufacture drama because I love it so. Um, no. I truly long for the boredom continually eluding me. I didn’t “bring” the drama when my teenage son flipped off a trampoline last year and split his shin knee to ankle with bone showing. I didn’t “create” the drama when my toddler picked up some vicious rogue infection from a tooth breaking through and her face swelled like the Elephant Man. But that’s my life and why I’ve always felt a kinship with Judith Viorst’s disaster boy in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Maybe I’d have better luck in Australia.

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Terrible-Horrible-Good-Very/dp/0689711735

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/family/alexander/author.html

No comments:

Post a Comment