Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dinnertime


My relationship with food drives my husband crazy. It’s not that he doesn’t try to be understanding and supportive, but, having a very straightforward dietary life himself, he mostly just doesn’t get it. He feels hungry, goes to the kitchen, finds the first thing that won’t kill him if he eats it, and his meal preparation process is done. I, on the other hand, usually start the journey by knowing I need to eat something so I don’t get a headache and it just gets more complex from there. I know I want something, just not what. So, because he is a really sweet guy, Nick makes suggestions starting with the stuff already prepared, proceeding through things he can make, occasionally offering take-out, and finally ending up at dishes only I can readily prepare. I sigh through the list, never quite hearing the magic answer. I just don’t know what I want to eat. Given the strong preferences I have in every other facet of life, this is a frustrating conundrum for the guy who cares about me but will eat just about anything veggie-friendly. I do eventually find something, but it is usually one of the first suggestions Nick made and he just gives up in defeat. In Else Holmelund Minarik’s Little Bear, the cubby protagonist wants to play in the snow, but can’t quite figure out what he needs. Mother Bear offers ideas and assistance until he finally goes with the original option. I see nothing wrong with that.

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/HarperChildrens/Kids/BookDetail.aspx?isbn13=9780064440042

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Else_Holmelund_Minarik

No comments:

Post a Comment