Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, May 14, 2010

Come And Play


I wish some imaginary places really existed. I’d like to sip a cool drink under a parasol at pre-war Tara. I’d like to get my eyes dyed to match my gown in Emerald City. I’d like to hood slide in ’70s Hazzard County. And I’d really like to be daring in my smartly tailored Federation uniform on the bridge of the Enterprise. But perhaps the one make-believe place I’ve wished I could visit most is that diversity-embracing metropolitan melting pot Sesame Street. I wish I could buy candy at Hooper’s Store and that Mr. Hooper was still there to sell it to me. I wish Maria and Luis and Gabi were my brownstone neighbors. I wish I could hang out on the stoop on bad days and out-grouch Oscar. I wish Scarlett could play fairies with Abby and basketball with Miles. I want Snuffy’s eyelash secrets, Ernie’s optimistic outlook, and Guy Smiley’s enthusiasm. I want to live in a neighborhood where numbers and letters and learning are important. Elmo lives in a place like that and sometimes I get jealous. He’s relatively new to the street, showing up in the ’80s almost two decades after Big Bird first napped in his giant nest, but has been thoroughly embraced by the house that Henson built. In Shana Corey’s Where Is Elmo’s Blanket?, the little red monster spends a day visiting his friends until he and blanket are reunited. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Elmos-Blanket-Nifty-Lift/dp/0375801383

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/media.jsp?id=304

No comments:

Post a Comment