Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cat Call

I was never really into horses. That definitely made me part of the minority. It seemed every girl I knew between the ages of nine and fourteen was obsessed with horse shirts and notebooks and lunch boxes and posters. There were girls with impressive horse figurine collections--which stood proudly gathering dust and envy on shelves in their rooms. This was always a sad mystery to me. There was even one girl in third grade who was so horse crazy that she often lived in her horse alter ego persona and would hoof anyone who upset her. Seriously. No, horses never interested me but I did have a thing for cats. Well, kittens really. Perhaps I was training to become the weird cat lady someday, or maybe kittens just lend themselves to being adorably marketed, but I desperately wanted a cat in my life. Unfortunately, since my dad was allergic and not very fond of them otherwise, the cat train missed our station until I snuck a kitten home thinking I could keep it in my room and no one would know. As luck would have it though, had my dad’s itchy eyes and closed throat not alerted him to cat presence, the escaped kitten hanging by its claws from the brand new sheer drapes would have. The kitten miraculously survived but, alas, was deported. I couldn’t help thinking about my childhood kitty craving while reading Jacqueline East’s Wiggle-Waggles Kitten. Not to worry, someday it’ll just be me and my cats.

http://www.tower.com/kitten-jacqueline-east-hardcover/wapi/101018662

http://www.allbookstores.com/author/Jacqueline_East.html

2 comments:

  1. Janelle & SaraLake actually snuck a pregnant cat into their closet! I discovered the little family while cleaning their room! Meow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That happened at our house with a dog. Four puppies. Lord.

    ReplyDelete