Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sing, Sing A Song...


I love to sing more than almost anything. I don’t do it well, mind you, but I subscribe to the notion that what you lack in skill you should make up in enthusiasm. So, I sing badly loudly. Pretty much all the time. It embarrasses the stuffing out of my kids when I burst into song in the grocery store or when renting a video (back when people went to buildings to rent things on video). Sometimes I don’t even realize I’m singing to myself until someone gives me a weird look or, occasionally, joins in. But it’s usually a person who has already self-identified as a bit strange. Perhaps there’s a lesson in that. Truly though, singing isn’t really about being good (sorry purists), it’s about being authentically and uniquely you. Twelve years ago today I became the mother of one of the most unique people I know. Addison came here kicking butt and taking names, never settling for anything less than what she wants. She has always been a free spirit--loving animal prints, makeup, wild hair, and turmoil. A diva from birth, Addison has always been particularly drawn to performing, especially music and dance. The rhythm just seemed to speak to her soul and evidence itself through her body. And she loved to sing--Disney music, songs from “Rent,” even a brother-taught version of “Who Let The Dogs Out.” In George Shannon’s Lizard’s Song, Lizard teaches Bear how to find and sing his own song. Loud, proud and personal.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Addison!

http://www.amazon.com/Lizards-Song-George-Shannon/dp/0688115160

http://georgewbshannon.comcastbiz.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment