Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Wishing Well

My kids have all been pretty into costumes. I encourage that because I like to think in a small way I’m doing my part to help them figure out who their authentic selves are. When you dress up and play a role, you get to know what is really you and what is not genuine. But dressing up can be an expensive proposition, so the day after Halloween always finds me in the 75% off section digging through leftover costumes to find some bargains for year-round use. And then the fun begins. Usually. This year, though, I noticed the start of what I’d like to hope won’t be a trend. When I went to get my costume plunder on November first, I found that all the Halloween stuff was being hastily dispatched to make room for new merchandise. No big deal, right? Except the new merchandise going up on the shelves was Christmas decorations. Less than twenty-four hours after the last trick-or-treater rang my doorbell, dancing Christmas trees and gyrating Santas were on the shelves. No bueno. Now, I understand that some people are really into the holidays and can’t wait for them to start, but, sheesh, let the jack-o-lantern remains get cold before you haul out the tinsel, for heaven’s sake! We’re going to get Christmas burnout before too long. In Christine Ferraro’s Elmo Saves Christmas, the red muppet wishes for Christmas every day--and then realizes he should be careful what he wishes for. It’s good advice all around.

http://www.amazon.com/Elmo-Saves-Christmas-Pictureback-R/dp/0679887652

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Christine_Ferraro


http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Tony_Geiss

No comments:

Post a Comment