Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, November 26, 2010

Again?!

I was getting ready to read to Scarlett, and she was less than thrilled with the idea. She flipped her chubby little hands into an attitude of exasperation and clearly said, “Stop reading me books. Is getting on my nerves!” Which is funny for such a small person to say, but also annoyed me a bit. Isn’t every ill in the world caused by people not getting enough love as children? Doesn’t she know that orphan babies turn their sad little faces to the wall and languish from lack of attention? Can’t success in adult life be measured page-for-page by how much a person was read to when they were young? For heaven’s sake, she’s why I’m doing this! Why isn’t she on board? Then, later that day, I saw a Facebook post from a friend with a baby asking just how many bedtime books there are in the world and if she really has to read every single one of them at the risk of losing her mind. And then I took a look at today’s book---and I put it all together. Reading a new book every day has not yielded a new topic every day. In fact, a few have shown up so often that I don’t know what to write about them anymore, and apparently the repetition hasn’t been lost on Scarlett. Lois Ehlert’s Color Farm has cool geometric cut-outs of all the farm regulars--but you can only get just so excited about just so many farms.

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Farm-Lois-Ehlert/dp/0397324405

http://www.readingrockets.org/books/interviews/ehlert

No comments:

Post a Comment