Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, November 12, 2010

Hard Times?

It’s no secret that economic times are tough these days. Or at least people think they are. There’s no doubt that people are feeling the pinch, but I keep wondering if “pinch” is relative. I seem to keep seeing signs that things aren’t as bad as everyone is making them out to be. In the fabric store the other day, I thought I would check out their iron selection since my trusty companion of fifteen years had just given up the ghost. What I saw blew my mind. There was an iron on the shelf in this chain fabric store where ordinary people shop in a little town no one famous shops in that was $179. For an iron. To take wrinkles out of clothes. How is that possible in a time when people are predicting the end of prosperity as we have known it? Not to minimize any actual need people are suffering, and I know they are out there, but what am I to think listening to a couple at the playground tell a friend that they have run out of money for groceries while they both consume grande designer coffees and text constantly on new smart phones? True, I don’t know their story, maybe there are elements I’m missing, but I really think “going without” means something far different to us than our 1930s counterparts. In Three Gold Pieces, retold by Aliki, a humble man struggles to feed his family. And there’s not a Blackberry in sight.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Gold-Pieces-Aliki/dp/0394917375

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/AuthorsAndIllustrators/ContributorDetail.aspx?CId=11719

No comments:

Post a Comment