Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Quite Contrary

We’ve come to the end of gardening season. Or at least the end of my first gardening season. I learned a lot (The Idiot’s Guide to Gardening at my side), had some disappointments (no pumpkin bigger than a Superball, no carrot longer than a Mike ‘n Ike’s), had some successes (the fact that anything grew at all and a bunch of beautiful azaleas), and find myself looking forward to next year. I have many people to thank for their support during my efforts--Nick’s dad for providing the azalea seeds in the first place and getting Scarlett jazzed about gardening, Nick’s mom for being supportive when I was acting obsessive and understanding when I brought the baby plants with me to Sacramento for a visit, Keilana for watering her leafy green siblings in my absence, Scarlett for making it magical, Nick for just letting me do my own thing, and many of you who gave moral support, kudos, and advice. I am truly grateful because I needed all the help I could get. I felt a little tug of sadness as I pulled up withered stalks, tossed faded flora in the trash, emptied out containers, and put everything in storage to await a warmer day. It had to be done, but it was sad. In Nicole Sulgit’s Dora’s Garden Adventure, Dora and Boots travel through the Froggy Pond and the Spooky Forest to get to Isa’s Flowery Garden. I didn’t have to work that hard, but it was still an adventure.

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Reader-3-Book-Explorer-Library/dp/1412762847

http://www.jacketflap.com/persondetail.asp?person=117606

No comments:

Post a Comment