Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Keep The Change

I think I have some Luddite in my blood because change often unnerves me and makes me at least a little bit sad. Not big, sweeping social change so much as small, insignificant-to-anyone-but-me change. Or it might be because I am a Virgo. I recently made Nick read a horoscope blurb on “Loving a Virgo” because I thought it was dead on--most particularly the part where it said not to expect a lot of change-up with those of us under the water-bearer sign. We like continuity. So, in keeping with this, I want stuff I like to stay the same. Like the “Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse” at Disneyland. Back when tickets were required for entrance to rides at Disneyland, everyone was always disappointed to be down to the “A” tickets, the look-at-stuff ones. But not me, because that meant we were on our way to the treehouse. I loved the clamshell sink, the hammocks, the creative use of what they had mixed with what they salvaged later or found. I have vivid memories of the plank and rope construction, the steep (it seemed at seven) climb to the top anticipating seeing cool stuff, and the wistful descent knowing that the best part was behind me. Until “the incident.” Which is probably more commonly known to the non-purists as “changing the treehouse over to Tarzan.” In Giles Andreae’s Rumble in the Jungle,” the animals love their jungle home. I liked the treehouse better when it was still on a deserted island.

http://www.amazon.com/Rumble-Jungle-Giles-Andreae/dp/1589250052

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Andreae

No comments:

Post a Comment