Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Get A Clue

I come from not-quiet-during-the-movie people. We repeat lines, give encouragement, remark on interesting facts/costumes/discrepancies, and, most of all, make predictions about what we think will happen. We make other people crazy, including and especially Nick, but we would have us no other way. I was trying to trace the origin of this behavior in my own personal history and I think I found it yesterday. The hubby and I were discussing what books we enjoyed as children and what effect they had on us. A number of common titles got tossed around--by Tolkien, Ingalls Wilder, Lewis-- and then Nick asked if I had ever read the Encyclopedia Brown series and a little bell went off. I did read, and love, every page of those kid detective stories, and that is where my fascination with picking up the clues and figuring out the ending started. Not that I didn’t have the family trait before then (I know I’m at least a carrier because my son is a devout movie-talker, too), just that it found its expression once I had memorized the adventures of Encyclopedia and his friends. And now it’s second nature. If I can’t figure out the major plot points and the ending by halfway through any movie, I feel a bit frustrated. Unless they really surprise me, and then I have to give credit where credit is due. In Mary J. Fulton’s Detective Arthur in the Case of the Mysterious Stranger, Arthur gets a big surprise ending. That’s nice.

http://www.abebooks.com/9780307618818/Detective-Arthur-Case-Mysterious-Stranger-0307618811/plp

http://www.jacketflap.com/persondetail.asp?sort=date&category=3&size=25&page=1&covers=&person=107031

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I live with a film editor... do you think I can talk while a movie is on? After 20 years and prodigy that are like the paternal one I comment and get glared at, "Shhhhh-ed" , and many annoyed looks while they rewind. I do love Encyclopedia Brown and a good detective story. I read so many Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on over to our house for movie night--it's a regular chat-fest! Even Scarlett has gotten in on the action and is making me proud quoting dialogue along with Ariel, Buzz, Woody, and Hercules. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete