Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Puppy Power

The poor, scruffy thing was terrified. We watched in horror as she crossed the busy highway, and then tried to corral her to check for identification. Other than a tattered collar with no tag, she appeared to be completely abandoned. As a mom with three kids, two jobs, a deployed husband, a rented duplex, and a new, untrained German shepherd puppy, I had no desire to bring more beings in need of caretaking into my life. But I couldn’t just leave her there. She was dirty with matted fur, but the look she gave me was one of such sorrow and desperation, I couldn’t stop myself from hefting her into my car. We gave her some food, water and a cozy place to sleep that night, but since rescued dogs know instinctively who has saved them, I woke up in the morning with her bad breath on the usually-empty pillow next to me. She was a fan for life. We searched diligently for her owners, but it appeared she was alone in the world and, thus, ours. We named her Chica and tried to bathe her. When she’d been with us awhile, someone pointed out her pudgy tummy and floated the notion that there might be puppies in our future. Dear Lord. And puppies there were. Four of them in my closet one night. They were adorable, but good grief. In Ruth Lerner Perle’s Puppies Are Coming, Minnie is getting some pups--but she’s way more excited about it than I was.

http://www.amazon.com/Puppies-coming-Minnie-friends-collection/dp/1563261103

http://www.librarything.com/author/perleruthlerner

No comments:

Post a Comment