Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Playing By The Rules

I have one Easter egg hunt memory that has coalesced in my mind to the perfect storm of unfamiliar surroundings, not knowing the rules, and embarrassment. Near Easter one year, I spent the night at a friend’s house with plans to go to a church egg hunt with her family the next morning. As a contribution to the hunt, we spent a couple of hours that night meticulously decorating eggs we knew we couldn’t keep. Which was a strange sensation that I didn’t particularly care for, but you have to grow up sometime, right? So, I carefully dyed each egg knowing some “little” kid would enjoy finding it for their basket in the morning. We started off bright and early the next day, excited for the festivities. I was unused to attending public functions without my mother and felt a bit out of place, even scared. So, I hung back from the action at first. My friend came to me and said she’d found a perfect collection spot for us--which turned out to be all the excess eggs never hidden for the hunt, including those we had decorated. I guess I should have known better, but it seemed fine to gather up our favorites and keep them. But that was a no-no and we got in big trouble and I’m still confused as to why. In Janet Morgan Stoeke’s Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs, Minerva doesn’t know what’s going on with the egg-hiding stuff. I know how she feels.

http://www.amazon.com/Minerva-Louise-Colorful-Morgan-Stoeke/dp/0525476334

http://www.janetstoeke.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment