Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Content In The Chaos

Ten years ago, I thought I had it figured out. I knew what the landscape of the rest of my life looked like, and I was content in having all the loose ends sewn up. I was married to the person I would always be with, I had the only three beautiful children I was destined to bring into this world, and I was teaching part-time, sure that as soon as a full-time position came open, my career would fall into place as well. As a driven Type A experienced in more chaos than any healthy person would see in ten lifetimes, getting my life ducks in a row was of paramount importance. No surprises, just synchronized success. Yeah, right. One of my best friends (who also happens to be my fellow Type A mother-in-law) was given a magnet by her most capricious son that says, “We plan, God laughs.” Fitting, don’t you think? Of course, not everyone believes in capital-G God, but almost everybody attributes some sort of orchestration of all that is to some force--karma, Allah, Zeus, the Force---and acknowledges that power at work. So, the universe listened, chuckled, and blew every single plan I’d ever made right out of the cosmic water. But gave me in return an amazing husband and a tiny Scarlett to create our new little triad. In Louise Fatio’s The Three Happy Lions, a duo becomes a trio and everything works out much differently than planned. Thank goodness something is directing all this.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Happy-Lions-Louise-Fatio/dp/B0007EBL52

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Fatio

No comments:

Post a Comment