Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, October 29, 2010

Let's Pretend

There’s an interesting concept known as “Fake it ‘til you make it”--the idea that, even if you haven’t quite internalized new behaviors yet, pretend like you have. There really is a bit of magic to acting “as if.” I know that sounds optimistic (which I rarely do), but hear me out. When I was recently stressing out over an impending court appearance, a dear friend of mine, knowing my theater background, suggested I employ my acting skills and play the role of someone calm and collected. And it really helped. Sure, I broke character a time or two, but it certainly went better than it would have otherwise and made me feel I could handle the situation. That confidence is the secret that is pretending. My brother, John, got into paper engineering (think pop-up books) years ago and was using an Exacto knife for his creations. Tiring of that, he went to a local publisher’s office to ask about their methods. Little did he know he had wandered into the world’s premier pop-up book company and would ask his question as the head of the company happened to be walking past. When the boss inquired about my brother’s experience and body of work, he lied…er…“pretended” that he had a portfolio “at home.” He then frantically worked the next 48 hours to create said portfolio. And got a job. In Disney’s Mickey Mouse, Brave Little Tailor, our favorite rodent pretends he can slay dragons and wins the fair princess. As if.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Walt-Disneys-Story-Walt-Disney/book/208300/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney

http://www.amazon.com/If-I-were-Polar-Bear/dp/1581170467

No comments:

Post a Comment