Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Commitment

I do community theater in my spare time, and it is a passion of mine. In fact, theater is where I met Nick and where our relationship started, so I owe it big time. I am not a professional actress, nor do I harbor any delusions about playing Broadway someday, but I do demand a pretty high level of performance from myself. And my fellow actors. And that’s where the problem comes in sometimes, because my idea of being devoted to a show (or anything) is usually far more psychotically obsessive than anyone else nearby. So, I spend a lot of time very frustrated. One of my real pet peeves when I’m in a show or even watching a show is when actors don’t realize that, just because they aren’t speaking a line or participating in the center-stage action, we can still see them and will be painfully aware of them getting out of character. I hate that. Conversely, when even the most minor characters are completely immersed in the scene, it is a thing of beauty to behold. Nick and I were fortunate enough to see the Elvis-song-based “All Shook Up” on Broadway, and I will never forget how amazing it was. Each and every actor was fully in character every instant. Every scene was a beautifully choreographed dance and I wanted to kiss the bit players and chorus members for their commitment. In Felicia Bond’s The Halloween Performance, Roger’s part is tiny…but he gives it his all. Bravo!

http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Performance-Felicia-Bond/dp/B003MY64NI

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/AuthorsAndIllustrators/ContributorDetail.aspx?CId=11820

No comments:

Post a Comment