Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Not Your Ordinary Princess

I am hard-wired to be the perfect audience member--if the show captures me, I whole-heartedly suspend disbelief and become part of the action. But I’m not so into realism. I don’t want rough edges, badly-behaved men, or weak women--I get plenty of that in my everyday world. I want fantasy, whimsy, over-the-top action, and all-consuming romance. Which is why I was mesmerized for all three hours of “Titanic” and completely disillusioned by “As Good As It Gets,” where jerk Jack Nicholson gets the girl without having to budge from his thoughtless ways. It’s why I loved “The Expendables,” but did not watch “The Hurt Locker.” And it’s why a chance encounter in an animated flick is one of the most passionate moments on film. Before Disney’s “Pocahontas” showed up, the relationships between handsome princes and rescued damsels were pretty tame--lots of sugar, no spice. And then they chose one who couldn’t be contained in puffy sleeves and ball gowns. From the first time we see her, Pocahontas is strong and brave, no rescue required. When John Smith shows up, he has no idea what he’s getting himself into. Experience tells him he can handle the indigenous population with military might and strategy--but nothing prepares him for glimpsing the proud and beautiful Pocahontas through the waterfall spray for the first time. When their eyes meet at that moment, it takes my breath away. I am fascinated. So, I gladly read Margo Lundell’s adaptation of Pocahontas…and hoped Scarlett will be like her.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=184967

http://www.jacketflap.com/persondetail.asp?person=102275

No comments:

Post a Comment