Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

On My Honor

I wanted to be a Cub Scout more than anything. My mom was a den mother and those boys did the coolest stuff. I tried Girl Scouts, but it was not the speed I was looking for. The boys did leather and beadwork, built birdhouses, and even set things on fire. They had the Pinewood Derby, the cake walk, and pack meetings with achievers in the spotlight. Best of all, they had uniforms where their badges, pins and patches were proudly displayed for everyone to see and admire. And envy. I REALLY wanted one of those. I lobbied passionately, but got denied firmly and permanently. It still bugs me a little, but then it was devastating. I knew I could do those things as well as any boy, better than some, and I didn’t think the reasoning of “you would have to wear pants” made any sense. And I was heartbroken at not getting to turn my Bobcat over. It works like this: Bobcat is the starting rank and each rank comes with a circle-shaped pin bearing the corresponding animal’s head. When you get your Bobcat pin, your dad turns you upside-down and holds you by your feet while your mom puts your pin on rightside up. Then, when you stand up, your Bobcat is upside down until you do a good deed and get to turn it. That idea really appealed to me. In Norman Bridwell’s Clifford’s Good Deeds, there are no pins, but things do get turned upside-down.

http://www.amazon.com/Cliffords-Good-Deeds-Norman-Bridwell/dp/0590442929

http://pbskids.org/clifford/index-brd-flash.html

No comments:

Post a Comment