Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, February 21, 2010

'Til Johnny Comes Marching Home Again...

When my Grandpa John went to war, my Grandma Velma and her “Little Johnny” (known to me as Dad) were on their own--with rationing, penciled on silk stocking lines, V-mail, and little money but nothing to buy. It was just the two of them and her sister, named Clarice but still called Sissy Doll, living in Chicago and waiting like everyone else. I imagine they had to be pretty creative to fill their free hours with activities that were toddler-friendly and didn’t cost any money. Since he’s always been one of the smartest guys I know, I suppose one thing they did quite often was read to the little boy with the curly auburn hair. And one book that was written just in time to be a bedtime story for my father is The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey. It was a bit surreal to sit on the couch with my not-quite-two Scarlett and read to her, from a book scrawled with my oldest daughter’s baby writing, a tale that my cute, young grandma probably sat in a tiny flat and shared with my dad. Or at least could have. The story of the five impulsive puppies digging their way into the wide, wide world and then losing dessert each night after coming home late in classic pell-mell, roly-poly, tumble-bumble puppy style is still well-known and popular enough to be in current print and a perfect gift for any little explorer. Good night, Scarlett. Good night, Little Johnny.


http://www.amazon.com/Poky-Little-Puppy-Golden-Storybook/dp/0307160262

http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=38353

No comments:

Post a Comment