Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Clean Sweep

Some people are born with the clean gene--their world is always orderly, neat and organized. These people seem to have an innate ability to keep a constant level of tidiness in their world that borders on hypnotic for me. They can find a paper clip or the warranty information for the printer at a moment’s notice and they use an iron to remove wrinkles from their clothes rather than a spray bottle and the dryer. I know and am related to people like this, but I am not one of them. Much like I missed the sports gene and carry the bat with me to first base, I lost out on the genetics neatness roulette. I know what some of you are thinking: just pick up and put stuff where it belongs. For you there is no biology magic to order, just responsible behavior. But some of you know what I’m talking about and can understand memorizing what is in which strata of the paperwork pile in case you need to find it later. The tidy ones are just born that way, whether they will admit it or not. Tizzie Knowles, author of the book Weekdays, may be one of the organizationally blessed considering how deftly she chronicles the daily tasks and housekeeping chores of her literary family for each day of the week. It does make sense, I’ll give you that. But Scarlett’s not even two and already on the varsity mess-making team. Maybe the gene skips two generations.




http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Weekdays/Tizzie-Knowles/e/9780851226835/?itm=4

http://us.macmillan.com/search/8408640/Tizzie+Knowles

No comments:

Post a Comment