Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, February 22, 2010

Who's The Boss?

My girls have been called “assertive,” “independent,” and “natural leaders,” but those are all just polite ways of saying “bossy.” When I picked Keilana up from the Children’s Center at Chico State, I knew she would be in the fantasy play area telling her poor little friend Eddie what to do in a stern voice. She was bossy. Addison was the only child to get kicked out of school on the first day of kindergarten for staging a coup against the regime requiring her to make the letter “d” differently than she had learned. The principal called and asked if I had ever considered putting Addie in the afternoon kindergarten. When I inquired why she would ask, she told me there was an opening in the afternoon for a girl with a “strong personality.” Which means bossy. Scarlett goes around the sandbox at the park and collects sand toys from other children to redistribute as she sees fit. And they let her. I’m telling you, these girls are bossy. Certainly they all three came here with their own spirit, but I admit to encouraging them in asserting themselves. For me, it’s hard to know, let alone teach, where to draw the line between enforcing personal boundaries and infringing on the space of others. The little angel friends in Nancy Parent’s I Have Feelings, Too have to find a way to do that very thing. Sometimes playing well with others, and showing love, means someone else gets to be the boss.


http://isbndb.com/d/book/i_have_feelings_too_a01.html

http://www.allbookstores.com/author/Nancy_Parent.html

No comments:

Post a Comment