Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, February 8, 2010

Sugar And Spice Aren't Everything Nice!

I am the only girl. I spent my childhood surrounded by, fighting with, fiercely loving, and learning about boys. I get spiders and appreciate dirt. I understand wrestling rather than talking and know how to catch a snake. To me, at some basic level, most boys make sense--the noise and rowdiness are part of the package. So, how did I end up the mother of three girls? They are foreign beings sometimes. Of course, I was a girl, which would seem to make me qualified to understand girls, but I realized after I got one that I hadn’t ever really spent time around any. My girls often mystify me and when I think I’ve got it, another one comes along! Of all the things I don’t know about them, I passionately understand what I want for them: to be happy, healthy women making authentic choices they believe are right. I think
Neil Gaiman gets me because his wonderful prayer-in-book-form Blueberry Girl is dedicated to “Tash, when she was only a bump and a due date.” In it he asks for protection and wisdom, courage and joy for girls
everywhere. Nick bought the book for Scarlett as a gift and today we read it. It is just what I would say to my daughters if I were a poet. “Words can be worrisome, people complex, motives and manners unclear. Grant her the wisdom to choose her path right, free from unkindness and fear…” Oh, Neil Gaiman, you had me at “words.”

http://www.neilgaiman.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Blueberry-Girl-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0060838086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265785698&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment