Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, February 12, 2010

Olly Olly Oxen Free, Free, Free!

I have four children, which means I am always looking for things that have been moved, used, worn, misplaced or taken by people who are not me. Nothing is ever left where I put it, except for unfolded laundry and dirty dishes. Hyper-organized people who never have to look for anything, and are almost always smug about it, are fond of spouting truisms about places and things and things in places. However, this method of superior living does not factor in the very real truth that always returning a thing to its designated place does not matter if you are the only one doing it. For some things I have literally stopped fighting and given into replacing them regularly. I get a bulk package of tape every Christmas so there will be a glimmer of hope one roll will be at hand when I wrap gifts. Since I have daughters, I purchase a bag of women’s socks every few weeks. And I have a firm policy of buying a pack of gum, Carmex, and a pair of scissors every time I go to the store. I hope to reach stasis on these items someday, but that day has not yet arrived. In Cyndy Szekeres’ Hide-And-Seek-Duck, Bunny is hiding from his friend where we can see him but out of sight of Duck. It’s cackling good fun for kids, who feel pretty powerful being in on the joke, but I always feel a twinge of sympathy for the poor little guy.






http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Seek-Duck-Golden-Naptime

http://biography.jrank.org/pages/1293/Szekeres-Cyndy-1933.html

No comments:

Post a Comment