Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Does Whatever A Spider Can


When I see children embrace and excel at things that are important to their parents, I always wonder if the ability comes from some magic in their genes or the constant exposure. Or both. The whole nature versus nurture argument plays out in my head, as it so often has. When my brother John and I were teenagers, people used to tell us that we would make a perfect couple if we weren’t siblings because we had so much in common--which made perfect sense having the same parents, home, history and experiences. But we always made the argument that we wouldn’t be so much alike if we weren’t siblings. Back then I was a devout nurturist, I still predominantly am, but as I’ve seen more of the way people evolve, I just don’t know anymore. Even when I see it at work in my own children, I’m still not sure exactly what role either has in developing little humans. Scarlett loves superheroes, which I suppose was inevitable given how fascinated her father is by comic books…er…”graphic novels,” and the web-slinging “Man-Man” is their favorite. Scarlett can pick the familiar red and blue arachnid out of any crowd and naturally plucked the Spider-Man Flying High board book, generically published by Marvel, off the shelf when given the chance to choose today’s reading. It isn’t a classic, or very long, or even all that interesting, but Man-Man wins in the end by defeating the Vulture and the city is safe once more.


http://juliasuits.com/product_SPIDERMAN-Flying-High-Book.html

No comments:

Post a Comment