Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Personality Plus

My daughter had purple hair for awhile. And we’re not talking about a subtle eggplant with highlights designed to catch the sun. Oh, no. I mean Easter egg in overdrive electric lavender. You couldn’t miss her. It sounds a bit odd, I admit, but if any person was meant to have doesn’t-occur-in-nature neon purple hair, it was this girl. She was stunning and unforgettable, then and even now with the color of hair God and genetics gave her. But she still stands out and always has. Part of it is that she is taller than most men she is not related to with arresting blue eyes, but more of it has to do with her actual presence. She seems to bring more to a room than most people, with too much personality for plain, too unique for usual. She leaves the house in get-ups that would get other people laughed off the street, but owns them so completely that it makes the world notice and admire. I have always admired her, too. Well, admiration mixed with a little envy--I’d love to be interesting enough to wear purple hair or fishnets and a cut up bridesmaid’s dress to the Farmer’s Market. Alas, it wasn’t meant to be. In Robert Munsch’s Smelly Socks, one little girl with a big personality wants the socks she wears day after day to reflect her authentic self. I’m a crazy socks girl trapped in a plain socks body…but at least I helped Keilana escape the ordinary.

http://www.amazon.com/Smelly-Socks-Robert-Munsch/dp/043964948X

http://robertmunsch.com/

2 comments: