Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cute Things In Small Packages

No doubt about it, baby things are cute. Even gross things like pigs--with their scary tusks and snorty snouts--are irresistibly adorable in their miniature form. Piglets at the fair are almost as sweet as the cotton candy and funnel cakes. And baby things make us lose our minds. Many unaware shoppers have been caught off-guard in the middle of pet ownership with a scruffy dog or capricious cat that used to be a precious little puff ball in a box outside WalMart. One of the most cuteness-overload things I’ve ever seen was the koala nursery at the San Diego Zoo. And yes, it was exactly as adorable as it sounds. I was also fortunate enough to visit the Los Angeles Zoo many years ago just in time to welcome their baby gorilla, Caesar. You think of gorillas as hulking beasts with angry brows and savage teeth, but they start out like everything else--helpless infants who sleep a lot and need constant care. We filed past the nursery window gazing at the doll-sized and diapered Caesar and I realized that, whatever he would become, he was just a sweet little baby then. I recently saw a picture of the adult Caesar and he was everything terrifying a grown gorilla has to offer, but all I could think of was that sleepy, thumb-sucking baby. In Helen and Clive Dorman’s Okomi The New Baby, a new member of the gorilla crew gets watched over by his big people. That’s all any baby needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Okomi-New-Baby-Helen-Dorman/dp/B000TV9ITO

http://www.dawnpub.com/our-authorsillustrators/helen-clive-dorman/

1 comment:

  1. I have to use this technique when I drive all the time. I have to force myself to realize that most people are just doing the best they can or I will throttle someone one of these days.

    ReplyDelete