Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, August 6, 2010

Back In The Day

I belong to a Facebook group called, “I’m so old, I’ve dialed a rotary phone,” because I am and I have. The page owner regularly poses questions for general discussion, and I am frequently surprised at the nostalgia I experience. Being born in the ‘60s, having my childhood in the ‘70s, and surviving the ‘80s as a teen makes me part of a very specific demographic. I was on this planet (granted, very briefly) before man had set foot on the moon, only saw Disney movies in the theater, watched something on video for the first time as a high schooler (when you had to choose between VHS and Beta), learned the Dewey Decimal system in a bricks-and-mortar library, and went through grad school without having a computer. I remember when we didn’t know Darth Vader was anybody’s father and had to worry all week until the next episode of the “Brady Bunch” to see if they made it out of the ghost town jail safely or not. Our skates had four wheels, our cars had no seat belts, and bike riding required no helmet use. And you could buy a triple cone at Thrifty’s for a quarter. I do remember rotary phones--and even party lines--and I’m not sorry they were replaced by more efficient technology, but some things I miss. In William Steig’s When Everybody Wore A Hat, the author laments progress way before my time. It must be how my kids feel when they listen to me reminisce.

http://www.amazon.com/Everybody-Times-Illustrated-Books-Awards/dp/0060097000

http://www.kidsreads.com/authors/au-steig-william.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment