Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nature Lover?

In “Titanic,” Jack tells Rose she seems like an “indoor girl.” I have two responses to that: 1. Oh, yeah? Who survived the freezing cold ocean? and 2. What’s wrong with being an indoor girl? Nice things happen indoors--temperature control, shade, bug-free space--and being outside is overrated. Of course, I’m a committed indoor girl myself. I’d like to be more physical (especially with a metabolism that has now come to a screeching halt) and in touch with nature (I think), but I’d rather curl up and read a book than almost anything. And one outdoor thing I’ve particularly had baggage with is camping. It might be because my dad was as intense about camping as he is about everything (which is very), or it might be because I have kids (and moms get the short end of the camping stick still having to do everything but in user-hostile conditions), or it might just be as simple as loving the great indoors. I decided a number of years ago to reclaim camping--or at least make my peace with it--but I wanted it on my own terms, so I brought paper, plastic and instant everything. If I was going to spend the night in the wilderness, I didn’t want to have to cook and wash dishes, too. It turned out to be fun and not nearly as painful as I feared. In Lara Rice’s Miss Piggy Camps Out, the Muppet diva gets primitive. Well, as primitive as we indoor girls can stand.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Miss-Piggy-Camps-LARA-RICE/book/1592262120/

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/contributor.jsp?id=169151

No comments:

Post a Comment