Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Boob Tube

When my brothers and I were growing up, there were only three television channels which constituted the sum total of viewing opportunities. And that was only when the antennae was in exactly the right spot after an hour of shouting adjustments to your dad on the roof. Given these factors, I never developed much of a relationship with TV and sometimes even felt a bit wary of it--cartoons were violent, soap operas mind-numbing and crime shows too scary for kids. But I am often not the only decision-maker in my house, so television has been more of a presence at some times than others. Until I get fed up again and throw it out again. I spent one evening almost twelve years ago flipping through the channels during “family viewing” time and could not find a single thing that did not offend me. So, I got rid of it all. No cable, VCR, antennae. Nothing. And that lasted quite a few years until I loved somebody with a TV habit again. Since then, the television has come creeping (sometimes bulldozing) back into our daily lives. Sadly, even reaching the toddler. The other day, Scarlett woke up and the first thing she said was, “I need to watch Dora.” Like TV was her coffee…or heroin. That was the last straw and the TV is objecta non grata again. In the Berenstain Bears’ Too Much TV, Mama puts her paw down and turns off the tube. Oh, that’s what quiet sounds like…

http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-Much-First-Books/dp/0394865707

http://www.kidsreads.com/authors/au-berenstain-jan-stan.asp

1 comment:

  1. It's been so nice. I didn't realize how agitated the constant sound of it was making me until it was turned off. She still gets to watch for "quiet time" but that's when she's lying down in the afternoon. I think it's been far harder on Nick than on anyone else! :)

    ReplyDelete