Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Who's The Boss?

One of the most random, yet fascinating, speech topics I’ve heard lately is the complex social structure of vultures. It turns out those hideous birds actually have more rules than most human societies, and far more than any NFL team. And one of those rules determines alpha leadership, like in packs of wolves and guys at the gym during open-court basketball. I never knew you could be head vulture, but I know you can be alpha hamster. It sounds crazy, but hear me out. Years ago, Keilana talked me into bringing home a hamster. Now, granted, Star was a rodent and rodents can be seriously annoying, but this particular hamster was a punk. Despite our best efforts at compassionate pet ownership, that little son of a gun would bite like a fiend every time she got picked up. Until one day she disappeared. Assuming she had gotten out and met an untimely demise, I didn’t mention it to Keilana so that I could delay the inevitable “talk.” But Star showed back up, gentle as a lamb. When I asked Keilana about it, she said that she got tired of the hamster being such a jerk so she shoved her in the plastic Barbie stove. For three days. And Star, recognizing Keilana’s new alpha status, was well-behaved forever more. In Patty Wolcott’s Where Did That Naughty Little Hamster Go?, the title rodent doesn’t mind being beta as long as it means he gets a cozy hamster-sized bed. Even hamsters need leadership.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-That-Naughty-Little-Hamster/dp/0201142457


http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Patty_Wolcott-mcid_2281736.html?isrc=b-authorsearch

No comments:

Post a Comment