Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, July 23, 2010

Gender Bender

I grew up in a household divided along strict gender lines. My dad went to work, and my mom never stopped working. All domestic duties (which are endless) fell under the umbrella of her job. She’d heard of the sexual revolution, but never considered it as applying to her. I’ve never had that problem. Or, frankly, those skills. I always knew I would have a life beyond the walls of my home, and it’s a good thing because I am terrible at neat. I don’t know why, really, because keeping things organized seems like a brain thing and I’ve always been one of the smart girls. Obviously, there’s more to it than that. Which is why I have the husband I do. He’s young, had a working mom, and is comfortable with flexible gender roles. For the past two years, he’s been the one taking care of the homefront while I punch the clock, and it’s worked pretty nicely for us. One of the best parts of having reversed the traditional scheme of things is that I now have a fella who understands just how quickly clean gets messy and how unending the neatness battle is. Especially when your life is turned upside-down by people no higher than your knees. In Teri Sloat’s This Is The House That Was Tidy & Neat, when mom leaves all you-know-what breaks out and it takes the whole family to get it back together before she comes home. I like that kind of commitment.

http://us.macmillan.com/thisisthehousethatwastidyandneat

http://www.terisloat.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment