Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, July 12, 2010

Everybody's Somebody's Baby

Perspective. It’s easy to lose in the hassle of everythingness--particularly as a mother. But every once in awhile, something comes along to put things back into perspective. At a recent family gathering, Scarlett’s Auntie Liz, devoted first-time mom to our beloved cousin Baby Simon, remarked on how surprised she was at the morbid worry tendency of moms, while reeling off a litany of traumatic scenarios constantly looming in her imagination. And, instead of being able to allay her fears with the promise that it gets better as they get older, all the mothers in earshot had a moment of perspective. I realized, again, that, no matter how much time passes from when they show up earthside, each child in the world that belongs to you, by birth or by import, walks around their daily life with a fragile piece of your heart in their possession. And it gets worse as they get more autonomous, when you can’t hold them every minute and oversee everything--which is accelerated when you have an independent one. I knew from the time Keilana got here that I had better learn to let her go. She’s the only child I know who cried when she got picked up from preschool and declared her day at kindergarten “private.” In Nancy Tafuri’s Have You Seen My Duckling?, Mama Duck has seven stay-at-home babies and one wanderer--who sparks a book-wide search. My duckling is now a beautiful swan…but I still wish I could tuck her under my wing sometimes.

http://www.amazon.com/Have-You-Seen-My-Duckling/dp/0688148999

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/contributor.jsp?id=3676

No comments:

Post a Comment