Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tub Time

Scarlett loves to climb things, the higher and more hazardous, the better. There’s nothing you can do to stop a climber, so we kiss a lot of boo-boos. Just yesterday, she had a four-point fall from the kitchen table, bouncing off a chair seat and two push-toys on the way down. Since Keilana was here, three of Scarlett’s big people jumped up to love the hurt away, and I thought how nice it would be if that trend continued our whole lives. Wouldn’t it be amazing if the things that made us feel better as children didn’t fade away or lose their magic? Like the bathtub. Remember how, as a kid, you spent hours playing in the bath? There were bubbles and water toys, so many things to make getting clean just that much more fun. Having long hair most of my childhood, I could lie back in the warm water and let my tresses flow around me like a mermaid, feeling beautiful and exotic. I especially loved the tub when I was sick. Something about the tension relief of the water and the warm, foggy air of the bathroom had recuperative powers. Even when my bath was done, I would dry everything with a towel and snuggle up with blankets in the empty tub. It’s where my mom always knew to look when she couldn’t find me. In Audrey Wood’s King Bidgood’s In The Bathtub, the monarch won’t leave the tub no matter what. He might be onto something.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Bidgoods-Bathtub-Audrey-Wood/dp/0152427309

http://www.audreywood.com/mac_site/clubhouse/clubhouse_page/clubhouse.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment