Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, July 1, 2010

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might


Someone at work told me that a math teacher just won the Texas lotto. Again. For the fourth time. To the tune of $21 million. Do you know the odds of that? I do. I looked it up. The odds of hitting the jackpot four times are 1 in 18 septillion. That’s the number 18 and then twenty-four zeros. I guess I should have paid more attention in algebra. It seems that daydreaming about what we would do with the proverbial million dollars is a frequent occurrence for most of us. Especially in hard economic times when so many are truly struggling. Scarlett’s Auntie Michelle broke her leg a year ago and her favorite way to escape the mind-numbing boredom and bone-aching pain of an extended recovery was to fantasize about what she would do if she suddenly got a windfall of lottery riches. I can’t think of a nicer person to win (especially since there are goodies for me on her list!), but I also can’t think of someone I’d less like to see experience the dark side of that supposed good fortune. Whenever I hear follow-up stories on lottery winners, I am stunned by how terribly wrong things seem to go after they get that giant check with their name on it. It always makes me pause. In Helen Oxenbury’s Pig Tale, two happy hogs hit the jackpot only to long for their mudbath days. I guess “Be careful what you wish for” is good advice after all.

http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Tale-Helen-Oxenbury/dp/1416902775

http://www.answers.com/topic/helen-oxenbury

No comments:

Post a Comment