Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, July 19, 2010

The Other Side Of The Story

I was once part of a group which took the Myers-Briggs personality test to get to know ourselves and our colleagues better. When we gathered to open our envelopes and I watched each person check their results, I noticed that all four areas of the test were represented by left-to-right low-to-high scales and individual scores varied along those scales. Except mine. When I got a look at my personality on paper, I thought there were no marks along the spectrum. But I discovered that it only appeared my scales were blank because the markers were actually so far to the right--the extremely high edge--that they were hard to see. Like burying a speedometer (which I ruefully admit to having done). So, I am as ENTJ as you can possibly get. There are complimentary things to say about my type--natural leaders, take-charge personalities, problem-solvers--but most of the descriptors are just nice ways of saying “really, really in your face.” And a big part of that is the capital “E,” for extrovert. I learned some useful information from that experience, but the most valuable was how we recharge our internal batteries. Extroverts literally draw energy from being with other people, while introverts are drained by the very same contact. Which explains a lot. I always describe Nick as being as introverted as I am extroverted--if you can imagine such a person. Maybe that’s why we fit so well. In A.A. Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh’s Opposites, every yin has a yang. Sometimes that’s just right.

http://www.powells.com/biblio/74-9780525421436-0

http://www.winniethepooh.co.uk/author.html

No comments:

Post a Comment