Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Once Upon A Time



One problem with fairy tales is that they make “happily ever after” seem like the rest of the story rather than the end of the beginning of the story. After spending hundreds of hours watching Disney movies frame-by-frame for graduate research, I know the message gets driven home that, once you sweep off to the castle, everything is hearts and flowers from that moment on. But as someone who’s been married (more than once) and had children (more than one), I know you wake up the day after the perfect wedding and the dishes don’t wash themselves--nor are there any woodland creatures around to do them. Bummer. Another facet to life after happily ever after is realizing that sometimes it’s easier to just do stuff yourself than wait for everybody else to figure it out. Especially kids. Or jewel-mining dwarfs. I felt a real kinship with the post-prince Snow White in Disney’s Snow White Makes A Change from the Kindness Counts series when she goes back to visit the little cottage in the woods and finds pandemonium once again reigns. The same thing happens to me every time I clean up after my kids. I should be better about making them clean it up themselves. I understand this, but haven’t been very good at it. Control freak meets no time meets wanting to run my house differently than the one I came from but not knowing how. The dwarfs do renew their housekeeping efforts, so maybe it’s not too late.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindness-Counts-Disney-Princess-Studio/dp/1590693647

http://disney.go.com/index

No comments:

Post a Comment