Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, March 29, 2010

Model Behavior

Not too long ago I held a fashion intervention…for myself. I went to the mall determined to crack the code of the right-clothes, right-hair girls even if it took the whole day. It would be easy to say (and mercifully does get said by people who care about me and don’t want me to feel defeated) that my fashion disability arises from a complete lack of time and disposable income. But, kind as that is, it isn’t true. I haven’t ever been very good at it, but I have been better at times. Now, it’s just gotten to the point where being warm, dry, cool, and/or comfortable is paramount to any social acceptance. Take my rain boots, for example. No woman my age should be tromping around in boots with pink polka dots on them, but every time I splash through a freezing cold puddle unscathed, the fashion faux pas doesn’t seem as detrimental. Besides, I think they are kind of stylish in a funky, modern way. Nancy White Carlstrom’s Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? features a little guy who plays so hard all day that bedtime comes just in time and who seems to know just what wardrobe any occasion calls for. He’s lucky. During my mall excursion, I saw a lot of classy gals and one hideously tacky woman. I was thanking my lucky stars that at least I’m not that bad…until she stepped out from behind a display wearing pink polka dot rain boots. Fashion fail.


http://www.amazon.com/Jesse-Bear-What-Will-Wear/dp/0689809301


http://biography.jrank.org/pages/1058/Carlstrom-Nancy-White-1948.html

No comments:

Post a Comment