Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Memory Lane


It was really different when I was a kid. I experienced a childhood of black and white televisions, rotary phones, and milk in glass bottles. We had to go to the library to look stuff up, get all our music from maddeningly easy-to-scratch vinyl, and cook hot dogs on the stove. But it wasn’t all bad living in such primitive conditions. One of the best parts of being a kid in the pre-Internet and “To Catch a Predator” era was the freedom--to create, imagine, explore and just play. There wasn’t anything kid-friendly to watch on television after school (except for the odd Sid & Marty Krofft offering) and once Saturday morning cartoons were over, everything interesting moved outside. We could make plans for the day, pack some snacks, kiss our moms, and go. As long as we were home by dark, the whole wide world was ours to experience as we pleased. And we played. Hours and hours of Hide and Seek, game after game of street softball, day after sunny Southern California day of riding our banana-seated bikes for miles. In Frank Asch’s Moongame, Bear and Little Bird spend all day playing in the sunshine and then Bear teaches the game to the moon. I miss those games, those friends, and the memories my brothers and I made on those endless days. I feel such sadness that my children will never know that childhood. But, I do really like making veggie hot dogs in the microwave. So, there’s that.



http://www.amazon.com/Moongame-Frank-Asch/dp/0689835183


http://www.frankasch.com/splash.html

No comments:

Post a Comment